•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
The Official "Ask MarkyJoe1990" Thread
(06-19-2013, 04:05 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: Doesn't she have trouble walking and sitting? xD
Why would she? Her hair flows behind her as she walks, and sitting just means either 1) She moves her hair onto her lap or lets it hang over her hair or 2) She sits on her hair.

(06-19-2013, 03:48 PM)ThunderCavalier Wrote: Jeeeeeez. That's a lot of thought for a silly, naughty little rabbit, good for nothing bu-- *shot repeatedly by everyone in the forum*

OK, OK, kidding. I like playing with a lot of the Touhou memes, but even I get really tired of them at times (and if I see another person overly tsundere Alice again, I'm going to shove them into an ice chipper Sleeping Dogs style). I haven't played Touhou 9 (which I probably should, since I find Shikieiki (why is that name so hard to spell?), Komachi, and Yuuka fascinating), so some of that Reisen backstory kinda flew over my head. Still, your interpretation of Reisen makes perfect sense imo, and honestly I've always found the hypnotic moon rabbit with literal bullet danmaku interesting... even if she was a bitch in the actual game (I love Reisen, but dammit I hate fighting her).

I'm really on the fence for that power interpretation of Eirin. While, imo I think Reisen could probably take Eirin in a fair fight, Eirin, being this prodigal, intelligent Lunarian whose powers have made the bloody Hourai Elixir, among many other concoctions of insane power, could probably boost her own ability with any of these potions that she created. Plus, I've always been a firm believer of "having something to fight for increases your strength and power" and "being pushed against the wall will magnify your existing powers," so anything that threatened Kaguya in any form would probably push Eirin to heights that would be... extremely terrifying. Plus, Eirin was a high-ranking Lunarian; I would HOPE that means something in terms of her own combat abilities. If anything, I'd say Eirin and Reisen are, at the very least, well tied in ability.
It's hard to say who is stronger, but whatever potions Eirin can use, so can Reisen, albeit to a lesser extent since Eirin is obviously more experienced. In terms of combat, Eirin may have been high ranking, but at what, governmental affairs? Nothing has ever shown or hinted to her combat prowess except when you fight her in imperishable night. However, that's never a reliable way to judge a character's ability in combat since it's never consistent. Apparently she was the one who made the fake moon, but it's never explained how she did it. It's possible she needed help, or created something that would do the job FOR her.

She's lived for much longer, and likely had the time to do combat, and apparently she trained Yorihime and Toyohime, but... those don't prove she's a good fighter herself, so there's not much to go off of. Not to mention, she's old and probably forgotten a lot of things. And when was the last time she trained or was exposed to battle often? Certainly not as much as Reisen has been, since Eirin is never fought in the games except in Imperishable Night, so Reisen has a bit more combat credibility.

(06-19-2013, 03:48 PM)ThunderCavalier Wrote: ... Although I still wouldn't want to be in the way of Tewi and that damn hammer of hers.
Tei is definitely the least threatening of the bunch in eientei. She doesn't even have a power that helps her in combat.

(06-19-2013, 03:48 PM)ThunderCavalier Wrote: So, Marc, I've actually thought of three questions now that the Touhou conversations have been raised:

1) In your opinion, who is the weakest human/Youkai/ghost/god/justfrickenwhateverthatthingis in Gensokyo? I mean, when all the hype and exaggerated powers are removed, who is the weakest? (inb4Cirno)

2) Who do you think is the most overexaggerated OP character in Gensokyo? I personally lean towards Yukari in this, but I'm wondering if you feel that any other characters are hyped beyond their actual power.

3) Do you have a least favorite or most despised Touhou character? Just like one that really annoys you or one that you're just plain apathetic to?

1) Not worth contemplating. Normal village civilians are probably the weakest, but either way, powers, ability, etc. are not really explored enough to make it clear who is powerful and who isn't. Not to mention allegedly weak characters have beaten stronger characters. Reisen's entire route in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody shows that she can beat Remilia, Yukari, Yuyuko, and Tenshi, all major league touhou characters, which means that Reisen is A LOT stronger, or at least has the potential to be a lot stronger than what is commonly accepted. However, her power alone is very broadly defined. She can control light, sound, and mind waves, but she can also do things that are in theory impossible for her, such as shooting from two places at once. Sometimes her power is just considered controlling waves, which is so broad that it could in theory mean she's borderline omnipotent.

2) Again. Not enough information about the powers. Yukari probably IS extremely powerful, but if she can get her ass kicked by Reisen, that means either Reisen is WAY stronger than we thought, or Yukari's much weaker than we thought.

3) Um... I don't like Yukari. She's probably the most unrelatable, depthless being in the entire cast. She's attractive, and her power would be handy, but I think those are the only reasons people like her at all. People also think she's bright, but... nothing she ever does indicates that she's especially intelligent. Just an arrogant, unlikable twat.

Youmu is also a bit of a sore spot for me, but only if I consider Touhou 9 canon. You see, Youmu has killed GHOSTS. Meaning, destroyed people's souls, depriving them of a chance at redemption or a better life. This alone makes her irredeemable, and, don't quote me on this, but I don't think she showed much remorse for it either. Even if we don't call it canon though, she doesn't really seem all that interesting.

Yuyuko bothers me for one reason alone: She's a selfish jerk. From what I was told, she poisoned Eirin's drink to kill her and have her as a servant. Eirin saw it coming and didn't really care all that much, but... What the hell, Yuyuko? I also hate that she seems to get away with everything she does, and doesn't give a shit about anything. She's apparently dumb, but I've also been told she's just playing dumb to get what she wants. Frankly I'd rather she be dumb because at least that'd give her an actual character flaw, but then you must ask what draws the line between dumb and selfish when she poisons Eirin's drink. =\

Mokou... is a very mixed bag for me. She's attractive, but I fail to see what else anyone would like about her. Sure, she's tragic, but she's not particularly sympathetic. Her motivation for hating Kaguya is unbelievably petty, and she's actually quite underdeveloped. It's hard to feel bad for a person when they still haven't gotten over the fact that some chick didn't like their father after decades of potential self-reflection. If nothing else, she's not a bad person though; she saves humans and rabbits when they get lost in the bamboo forest, but a nice person doesn't really equate to one with complexity and personality.

Of course, one could give her the benefit of the doubt; She's probably not quite as sane as she used to be.

I kind of like her regardless, but I think it's mostly because of her appearance (That hair~). Frankly, I think Kaguya has more potential to have depth and complexity, yet she's not as popular.

I think those are the only few characters I have serious problems with.
(06-19-2013, 04:21 PM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: Why would she? Her hair flows behind her as she walks, and sitting just means either 1) She moves her hair onto her lap or lets it hang over her hair or 2) She sits on her hair.

If it's THAT long, wouldn't she eventually step on it? '_'

(06-19-2013, 04:21 PM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: 1) Not worth contemplating. Normal village civilians are probably the weakest, but either way, powers, ability, etc. are not really explored enough to make it clear who is powerful and who isn't. Not to mention allegedly weak characters have beaten stronger characters. Reisen's entire route in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody shows that she can beat Remilia, Yukari, Yuyuko, and Tenshi, all major league touhou characters, which means that Reisen is A LOT stronger, or at least has the potential to be a lot stronger than what is commonly accepted. However, her power alone is very broadly defined. She can control light, sound, and mind waves, but she can also do things that are in theory impossible for her, such as shooting from two places at once. Sometimes her power is just considered controlling waves, which is so broad that it could in theory mean she's borderline omnipotent.

2) Again. Not enough information about the powers. Yukari probably IS extremely powerful, but if she can get her ass kicked by Reisen, that means either Reisen is WAY stronger than we thought, or Yukari's much weaker than we thought.

I've addressed this topic in other forums and my answer will always remain the same.

ZUN is infuriatingly vague with goddamn details.

(06-19-2013, 04:21 PM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: 3) Um... I don't like Yukari. She's probably the most unrelatable, depthless being in the entire cast. She's attractive, and her power would be handy, but I think those are the only reasons people like her at all. People also think she's bright, but... nothing she ever does indicates that she's especially intelligent. Just an arrogant, unlikable twat.

Youmu is also a bit of a sore spot for me, but only if I consider Touhou 9 canon. You see, Youmu has killed GHOSTS. Meaning, destroyed people's souls, depriving them of a chance at redemption or a better life. This alone makes her irredeemable, and, don't quote me on this, but I don't think she showed much remorse for it either. Even if we don't call it canon though, she doesn't really seem all that interesting.

Yuyuko bothers me for one reason alone: She's a selfish jerk. From what I was told, she poisoned Eirin's drink to kill her and have her as a servant. Eirin saw it coming and didn't really care all that much, but... What the hell, Yuyuko? I also hate that she seems to get away with everything she does, and doesn't give a shit about anything. She's apparently dumb, but I've also been told she's just playing dumb to get what she wants. Frankly I'd rather she be dumb because at least that'd give her an actual character flaw, but then you must ask what draws the line between dumb and selfish when she poisons Eirin's drink. =\

They are liked by the fans because...well...they are like blank pages, waiting to be filled with hypothesis and theories.

The same reason Touhou became popular in the first place.

(06-19-2013, 04:21 PM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: Mokou... is a very mixed bag for me. She's attractive, but I fail to see what else anyone would like about her. Sure, she's tragic, but she's not particularly sympathetic. Her motivation for hating Kaguya is unbelievably petty, and she's actually quite underdeveloped. It's hard to feel bad for a person when they still haven't gotten over the fact that some chick didn't like their father after decades of potential self-reflection. If nothing else, she's not a bad person though; she saves humans and rabbits when they get lost in the bamboo forest, but a nice person doesn't really equate to one with complexity and personality.

Of course, one could give her the benefit of the doubt; She's probably not quite as sane as she used to be.

I kind of like her regardless, but I think it's mostly because of her appearance (That hair~). Frankly, I think Kaguya has more potential to have depth and complexity, yet she's not as popular.

Meh, Mokou might not be as fleshed out as one would hope her to be, but she has a backstory. And her lack of personality is "kind of" justified, by avoiding interaction with other people for centuries.

Besides, ZUN is fixing this by developing her personality through the mangas. Only problem is, they are gag series and there's not much space for character development in them.

And that thing about her father? It seems after being rejected, he turned into the mockery of his servants and committed suicide. I would be mad at Kaguya too if something like that happened to my father.

Something I, and fans of her, like is her physical qualities. Theoretically, she's the most powerful and resilient being in Gensokyo, without any help from abilities or magic. Years of training and dying constantly must have given her this advantages. And it's canon that she has died of self-induced starvation many times. How strong willed must you be to keep up with something like that!?

And last, but not least, are her powers. Undying flames which burn ANYTHING? That's a damn strong ability, to not say convenient also.

I like her, and she's one of the few residents of Gensokyo, taking Mei Ling and Yuuka into account, who can actually win on a normal fight.
[Image: Ra0aehe.png?1]
(06-19-2013, 06:26 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: If it's THAT long, wouldn't she eventually step on it? '_'
When you walk, your feet move forward, and your hair flows back. It's not likely.

(06-19-2013, 06:26 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: They are liked by the fans because...well...they are like blank pages, waiting to be filled with hypothesis and theories.

The same reason Touhou became popular in the first place.
To have hypothesis and theories, you need something to go off of. With that said, there's very little that is blank about the way they act or what they've done, so I don't think that's the reason.

(06-19-2013, 06:26 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: Meh, Mokou might not be as fleshed out as one would hope her to be, but she has a backstory. And her lack of personality is "kind of" justified, by avoiding interaction with other people for centuries.
You would still have a personality if you didn't interact with people.

(06-19-2013, 06:26 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: And that thing about her father? It seems after being rejected, he turned into the mockery of his servants and committed suicide. I would be mad at Kaguya too if something like that happened to my father.
What? For making a choice that she has all the right to make? She's allowed to refuse marriage. It's the mocking servants that Mokou should be mad at, not Kaguya. And I'd think she'd be mad at her father too for leaving her behind like a selfish twat (What's more selfish than killing yourself because you can't handle the humiliation, effectively leaving your daughter behind to suffer?). Instead, she's getting mad at the wrong person for an awful reason.

(06-19-2013, 06:26 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: Something I, and fans of her, like is her physical qualities. Theoretically, she's the most powerful and resilient being in Gensokyo, without any help from abilities or magic. Years of training and dying constantly must have given her this advantages. And it's canon that she has died of self-induced starvation many times. How strong willed must you be to keep up with something like that!?
You don't need to be strong willed to starve yourself. You just need to be lazy, or not give a shit. There's nothing strong willed about hurting yourself for no reason.

As for being resilient? Unless she keeps herself in shape and eats healthy (Which she doesn't, seeing how she starves herself), she's probably not that resilient, especially since she is human.

(06-19-2013, 06:26 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: And last, but not least, are her powers. Undying flames which burn ANYTHING? That's a damn strong ability, to not say convenient also.

I like her, and she's one of the few residents of Gensokyo, taking Mei Ling and Yuuka into account, who can actually win on a normal fight.
I don't know much about her powers aside from "FIRE FIRE", but I don't recall that she can burn specifically anything. And I'm pretty sure most touhou characters can put up a decent normal fight.
(06-19-2013, 07:10 PM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: What? For making a choice that she has all the right to make? She's allowed to refuse marriage. It's the mocking servants that Mokou should be mad at, not Kaguya. And I'd think she'd be mad at her father too for leaving her behind like a selfish twat (What's more selfish than killing yourself because you can't handle the humiliation, effectively leaving your daughter behind to suffer?). Instead, she's getting mad at the wrong person for an awful reason.

True. But we humans never reason the way we should when facing difficulties, right? I think the decision she made was the most realistic (although incorrect) because it reflects on what we would do on her place.

(06-19-2013, 07:10 PM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: As for being resilient? Unless she keeps herself in shape and eats healthy (Which she doesn't, seeing how she starves herself), she's probably not that resilient, especially since she is human.

Okay, maybe she doesn't have a strong body, but she arguably has the highest tolerance to pain. When fighting against her in Imperishable Night, she dies 11 TIMES IN A ROW.

And her physical strength is canon (can't remember on which manga it was stated).

(06-19-2013, 07:10 PM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: I don't know much about her powers aside from "FIRE FIRE", but I don't recall that she can burn specifically anything. And I'm pretty sure most touhou characters can put up a decent normal fight.

Her fire is extremely powerful. However, it's true I can't prove if she can burn absolutely everything. Most likely, but I can't speak without facts.

There's one fatal flaw to her power, though: She can't extinguish her fire.

Those talismans and amulets she wears? They keep her from burning herself to death.

I actually think that's a pretty interesting flaw. Gives much material to work with in fanworks, don't you think?

So, Marc, another question (because I know you love answering them, right? :iliedotjpg:).

In your opinion, what would make a truly amazing Fire Emblem hack, featuring a serious plotline? Same question for a comical one.
(06-19-2013, 08:14 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: True. But we humans never reason the way we should when facing difficulties, right? I think the decision she made was the most realistic (although incorrect) because it reflects on what we would do on her place.
I disagree with you on that, but not strongly. While I don't agree with it, I don't feel I have a strong enough counterargument to say otherwise.

(06-19-2013, 08:14 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: Okay, maybe she doesn't have a strong body, but she arguably has the highest tolerance to pain. When fighting against her in Imperishable Night, she dies 11 TIMES IN A ROW.
THAT, I won't argue with.

(06-19-2013, 08:14 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: And her physical strength is canon (can't remember on which manga it was stated).
Alright.

(06-19-2013, 08:14 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: Her fire is extremely powerful. However, it's true I can't prove if she can burn absolutely everything. Most likely, but I can't speak without facts.

There's one fatal flaw to her power, though: She can't extinguish her fire.

Those talismans and amulets she wears? They keep her from burning herself to death.

I actually think that's a pretty interesting flaw. Gives much material to work with in fanworks, don't you think?
I guess? I mean, if she sets herself on fire, she'll just die and then revive back to normal. If worst comes to worse, she could try and snap her own neck before she feels immense pain, then revive.

(06-19-2013, 08:14 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: In your opinion, what would make a truly amazing Fire Emblem hack, featuring a serious plotline? Same question for a comical one.[/align]
What matters most is good level design and memorable, likable characters.
Can you please give us more details on what you think would be good level design and memorable, likable characters?

Oh, and I want to ask another thing too. Do you use Fruit Loops Studio to make your songs? If not, what do you use?
(06-19-2013, 10:02 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: Can you please give us more details on what you think would be good level design and memorable, likable characters?

Oh, and I want to ask another thing too. Do you use Fruit Loops Studio to make your songs? If not, what do you use?

Eeeeeghgh... Okay, for level design, you should make every turn meaningful, and it shouldn't have any "down time" in which you're just moving units, not doing anything. I don't feel like going into explicit detail. If you wanna make a fire emblem hack, I can critique it for you on these forums however.

Memorable characters... give them interesting personalities, and explore their psychology and stuff. Also make them likable and funny, and make their personalities unique/distinct from each other.

I use fruity loops and LMMS.
(06-19-2013, 10:02 PM)Alex Suárez Wrote: Can you please give us more details on what you think would be good level design and memorable, likable characters?

If Ragefest and his hack reviews are anything to go off on:

1) The maps must be coherent, make sense, and not have any lazy textures. I'm talking to you, FElover.

2) The characters must not all be incessant twats. If they are, they better have a good reason for being so. Having them be stupid, petty, and annoying for the sake of being stupid, petty, and annoying is obviously a pet peeve for Marc. I'm talking to you, TEB and Astra.

3) There must not be any luck-based sections and maps must either be designed to be open-ended and remain challenging or force the player to do a strategy and consistently reinforce said strategy without allowing the player to exploit some other kind of bug to make the chapter ludicrously easy. I'm talking to you... uhh... about everyone, really.

4) Long hair.

5) Reisen.

6) Sophia.

7) Reisen AND Sophia.

---

On that note, Marc, is there a particular FE map that's your favorite? Not a hack map, but a legitimate chapter created by the developers.
This sig will Self-Destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie?

[Image: Thunders-Sig-1.png]

Img by Ajax

[Image: B4sgQC]

Wow. I'm impressed, Thundercavalier. That's a fairly accurate portrait of what I like to see. Though, I think I should expand on that a bit.

I don't mind if a level has an "easy strategy", but there must be a down side to it. For example, if you can turtle a map (as in, set up the best defensive formation and let all the enemies come to you), the level designer should put a far away village that risks being attacked by a bandit if the player just turtles. That way, it gives the player the incentive to hustle and use a more challenging strategy. Then you can time and position the enemy units around that progression.

I also like it when the game makes me want to spread out my units for multi tasking. If you allow the player to group their units together to dogpile the enemy, it's very rarely difficult or fun, and making the player want to spread them out is more tense. Plus it makes planning out your strategy more meaningful since you have to decide which units go which places based on the environments and the enemies faced (IE: lots of mercenaries = bring a knight this direction)

(06-19-2013, 10:50 PM)ThunderCavalier Wrote: On that note, Marc, is there a particular FE map that's your favorite? Not a hack map, but a legitimate chapter created by the developers.
I've always been fond of Chapter 14 in FE7.
Had to look that one up quickly. False Friends. I hated that chapter in both FE7 and FE6, especially FE6. I have no idea how Ellen dodged twice against Rutger, but hey, a forgiving RNG is a forgiving RNG.

And thanks, Marc, but honestly you're very, VERY vocal about what you don't like to see in hacks, especially your gripes with the characters from ProjectZ and Dream of Five. ProjectZ, I've stated before, I don't necessarily have a problem with, but I think it's because it's so cartoonishly overexaggerated that these people are incessant, brainless twats and it's been lampshaded that Dath is the only person that has a positive brain cell count (and Koji, too, but she really needs more screen time) that I kinda just go along with the joke. That and I've always been a bit fond of TEB humor, overuse of fourth wall jokes and all. Dream of Five I do agree with you, though, as it seemed to be the best attempt to create a FE hack with distinct, likable characters, and instead kinda made characters about as cookie cutter as normal FE characters. Sometimes even worse (in the case of the protag Renair, who admittedly switched around allegiances more than a schizophrenic).

Stupid question now that we're on this topic, and I probably know the answer already, but is Matthew's Nightmare your favorite FE hack to play through? Also, what was, in your opinion, your best commentary or your most favorite hack to commentate on?
This sig will Self-Destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie?

[Image: Thunders-Sig-1.png]

Img by Ajax

[Image: B4sgQC]

•  Previous
  • 4(current)
  • Next