Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
MarkyJoe1990 Rants: Video Game Commentaries and the Value of Editing
Have you ever watched a commentator you really enjoy, but find their aversion towards editing out boring bits of footage to be grating? I sure as hell do.

I've watched a lot of different LPers/VG Commentators on Youtube, and while a large amount of them are bad, there's plenty that are good. However, not all of the bad ones are terrible because of the commentary. Sometimes the commentator is really entertaining and likable. The problem instead is that their footage of the game is utterly dull, whether it be because the game itself is uneventful, or because the LPer keeps dying and ends up redoing segments a lot.

Here's my problem. Why the heck do so many LPers avoid editing their videos?

Who the hell wants to watch an I Wanna Be the Guy video if half of the footage is watching the person die over and over again at the same spot? How is that entertaining? Beating-A-Dead-Horse humor was funny back when movies were black & white, but that shit is obsolete now.

I'm not writing this rant out of inspiration from Retsupurae's recent video against I Wanna Be The Guy videos. I'm writing this because I watch an LPer named AstraLunaSol, who sometimes has very good commentary, but because he almost never edits, he ends up with footage of over one and half hours long, and not enough commentary and subjects to fill it all up.

It pisses me off that guys like him have potential to be great, but fail to ascend because they don't want to edit footage.

Even in my first video, I edited the footage to maintain a flow of progress, and that was when I was, like, 16. it wasn't even hard to do. I just cut out any backtracking I did to avoid boring the viewer. It's not even HARD to do, and yet for some reason, people have it through their thick skulls that they don't NEED to do any edit. Either that, or they're too lazy.

But if you're too lazy to edit your footage, that implies you don't care whether your viewers enjoy it or not, so then why the hell are you recording yourself in the first place?

A lot of people use this excuse to justify their lack of editing, "Well, at least I'm entertaining a small handful of people, and that's all that matters to me". I really hate that excuse. It's almost like saying "All I care about is getting attention and praise, so I'll only do the bare minimum of effort to gain that"

Some people also use the excuse, "My videos just aren't your thing" as if that somehow means their videos are good, but subjective. Lemme tell you something, there's nothing GOOD about watching a guy being stuck in a single spot, dying over and over again, or spending minutes pondering their situation doing nothing. Why does that need to be left in? if your commentary is so interesting, but you can't be bothered with recording and editing game footage well, why not make a Vlog instead?

When I record my videos, I feel the need to make them as enjoyable as possible, and that means I have to edit out any footage that's uninteresting. I've literally taken videos that were 4 hours long, and condensed them down to around 40 minutes to 2 hours. I take pride in my ability to generate quality videos. Yes, I do it partly for praise, but I want to feel like I EARNED that praise. There's a sense of satisfaction knowing you earned something by taking pride in your work.

I think the reason why this pisses me off so much is because of the shear wasted potential. Like I said before, Astra's a good commentator - at least when he's not thinking out loud about his options - but his footage is filled with so much pointless shit that it becomes unworthy of watching.
For backtracking, I either cut it out until I get back to the point I was at (like in Serpent: Resurrection where I die for no reason even though I refreshed my Fire Protection in the Lost Temple), or if I want to show that I haven't been doing anything major inbetween points, I speed up those points by about 400% or more for situations like a couple in my Serpent: Resurrection talkthrough (the rush out of the palace late game back to the shops in Dauthi Mountain Pass and back, and the barrel sorting at Lystern Harbour).

Some of the moves I did in editing for certain parts did give me notes on what NOT to do in the future.
HA! I've never mutated a STONE before! - Biotech, Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
[Image: sig.gif]
Editing is always a good idea, unless you're doing live commentary. This is another reason why it's usually a better idea to do post-commentary.

By the way, do you plan to keep doing those commentary critiques from the old forum? I'd like to see that return.
(04-15-2013, 09:09 PM)NovemberJoy Wrote: Editing is always a good idea, unless you're doing live commentary. This is another reason why it's usually a better idea to do post-commentary.

By the way, do you plan to keep doing those commentary critiques from the old forum? I'd like to see that return.
Yeah, that's coming back too. Thanks for reminding me.