Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My history with Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Games
(07-27-2013, 06:54 AM)Rathalicious Wrote:
(07-26-2013, 06:38 PM)marks3684 Wrote: Rath, don't you mean FF VIII. But yeah, I never played it, but I heard it was a freaking train wreck due to massive linearity and other crap.

*sighs* more fanwar over VII and VIII <_<

But yeah XIII most be one of the worst games I have ever played, the combat system had such a horrible design and put it down after 3 hours. Boring as fuck.

Whoops. Sorry, I meant FF XIII, not FF VIII. FF VIII isn't a terrible game. I kinda liked FF VIII after watching MK404's stream.
(07-27-2013, 12:10 PM)marks3684 Wrote: Whoops. Sorry, I meant FF XIII, not FF VIII.

haha lol. There's no problem dude. Smile

(07-27-2013, 12:10 PM)marks3684 Wrote: FF VIII isn't a terrible game. I kinda liked FF VIII after watching MK404's stream.

Hey, I don't know anything about FF so my mind is as blank and I have no opinion on either FF7 or FF8, just FF13 which can go fuck itself.
I really wish an MMORPG would break the mold that WoW created and do something different.
"TASTE THE RAINBOW MOTHA****AH" - The Sun
"Hell Yeah!"
[Image: Untitled-15_zps14a9bf67.png]
(07-28-2013, 03:23 AM)Cero Wrote: I really wish an MMORPG would break the mold that WoW created and do something different.

The only one I can think of that is somewhat different to other MMORPGs is Dragon Quest X. It's not that different from other MMOs but there are clear differences and it looks and still feels like the same, good old Dragon Quest but sadly it hasn't even been released in PAL or NA regions. The one game I would actually buy a Wii U for. Sad
(07-28-2013, 03:23 AM)Cero Wrote: I really wish an MMORPG would break the mold that WoW created and do something different.

I think that the biggest reason this happens is because these kinds of developers are too busy trying to compete with WoW as opposed to doing their own thing. Another problem is that the companies for these pour way too many of their resources into making these games big and/or having some kind of content (doesn't make the content good, of course); and thus, put little-to-no effort into making any games outside of their MMO. Think like how the current game market has been for the past few years, only more extreme or more money grubbin'... That, or desperate (looks at Sega).

I've seen a few of these kinds of games try something different, but they're few and far in between. They still haven't quite gotten out of the MMO dark ages, of course... although, a lot that do try to be different seem to get the idea that they can put more effort into the game if they cut the "massive world" part out. Some even try to make more engaging gameplay, but it's still iffy.

If you really want to play something similar, then I'd highly recommend a console or PC game that's either finished, rarely/never gets updates beyond balance changes/bug fixes, or in the case of PC games, has modded versions (preferably a mod that takes single player into account...). A more or less, if not completely, finished game with some similar things has some of the better selling points with much less baggage. Your mileage may varry with such games still, but they tend to be better designed and more engaging than MMOs overall.

(07-28-2013, 04:50 AM)Rathalicious Wrote: The only one I can think of that is somewhat different to other MMORPGs is Dragon Quest X. It's not that different from other MMOs but there are clear differences and it looks and still feels like the same, good old Dragon Quest but sadly it hasn't even been released in PAL or NA regions. The one game I would actually buy a Wii U for. Sad

I know you love Dragon Quest, but... kind of looks similar to how The Old Republic was done (minus the setting, of course). No offense.

While I still feel very iffy about how Sega's going about PSO2 (can't say how it actually is, because I haven't played), I do have to admit that they've focused on the gameplay a lot more than most other MMOs. Game looks a little too easy for my taste, but... yeah. Rather than say it again, Imma link a vid just to give people an idea of what I'm getting at.

True, WoW created this mold that future MMOs are fitting into. But also, ones before that paved the way for WoW e.g. Everquest, Ultima. MMOs will continue to build upon each other, whether it be slowly or rapidly.
(07-29-2013, 08:50 PM)EnergyFlux2012 Wrote: True, WoW created this mold that future MMOs are fitting into. But also, ones before that paved the way for WoW e.g. Everquest, Ultima. MMOs will continue to build upon each other, whether it be slowly or rapidly.

It goes even further back than that, I'm afraid.

And I'm not sure if I can totally agree on that. On one hand, I guess that at least some of them are building upon eachother. On the other hand, they could just simply be trying to one-up eachother. That's just me, I s'pose.
I actually had experiences with Runescape and the Artix RPGs.

Runescape - Uhhh... grindfest, really. Not even for me, though. 90% of my Runescape time, even when I was older (I picked it up when I was, like, five, and then again when I was, like, thirteen) was just wandering around, looking at stuff, chopping down random stuff, killing random stuff, getting killed by random stuff, the like. I was the only lv 50 I could think of that didn't have Adamant or Rune armor to show off with. Didn't really care, though.

Also made three accounts. One got hacked (and was crap anyway). One I forgot the password for and abandoned anyway. The other I used for a bit, forgot the password to, and abandoned. It's certainly improved since people have last played it; it's gotten a few graphical overhauls, there's a couple of minigames, stuff like that, and it's nice for getting into MMOs. It's not perfect, and if you've played something like WoW or Guild Wars, it's gonna blow Runescape out of the water. It's a humble MMO and it knows that; that's why its membership doesn't burn a hole in your wallet. =P I have fond memories of the game, so I can't honestly hate it. ... However, I don't see myself ever returning.

Adventure Quest - I made two accounts on this, one with some uber awesome overhyped Super Saiyan lightning knight paladin thingie (when I was, like, nine) and one with a female, timid Paladin Vampire (with long hair) (and I made this when I was, like, fourteen). I actually got a lot further with the female Paladin, but that's only because I had YouTube to use in-between the grinding. Surprisingly, the grinding didn't put me off of this game; it was the fucking player limits that the site would arbitrarily impose on you, forcing you to pay the subscription if you wanted to, you know, log on. I think I got fed up with it at one point and never looked back.

Oh, I also made a female mage, long silver hair, sometime a while back. ... Yeah, don't be a mage in AQ. At least you can keep mashing Attack once you run out of MP and SP and hopefully get somewhere. Mages get fucked. Hard.

Dragonquest - I think I got into this when I was, like, twelve. Fortunately, I restricted myself to an uber awesome knight Paladin thingie instead of the Super Saiyan lightning bullcrap from the last one. I forget why I stopped playing this.

I also played a bit of MechQuest when it came out. Ah, MechQuest. How do I describe this beauty?

MechQuest - Unless you fucking pay money, expect the difficulty curve to resemble the Empire State Building. Your starting mech SUCKS. Your starting equipment SUCKS. The delay in-between your attacks SUCKS. The only thing that doesn't suck are your enemies, who will remind you of this in-between recreating every scene of Gundam, Code Geass, Gurren Lagann, Bokurano, Evangelion and every single other Mech anime I can think of atm. Spoilers: You're the sod that gets beaten up.

The Artix games have pretty good, quirky, and sometimes hilarious dialogue. On the other hand, sometimes it's way too self-aware and sometimes it's trying way too hard to be funny. Also, the core gameplay isn't anything to brag about.

As for MMOs in general, tbh, I don't see myself ever going back to them even though stuff like Guild Wars looks fricken awesome. I just feel that I'll burn out like I did with Runescape and end up wasting my money.

... Unless something like SAO comes out. VR MMO? I don't care if I get stuck in it for two years and possibly die; it's bloody worth it.
This sig will Self-Destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie?

[Image: Thunders-Sig-1.png]

Img by Ajax

[Image: B4sgQC]