Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Emblem and the moral failings of humanity
One of the most compelling things about Fire Emblem in my opinion is that the root to every war that happens is ultimately caused by human vice. The underlying message tends to be that humans will be their own undoing.

Many Fire Emblem conflicts could have been avoided had some human not fucked up at some point.

For example, the Archanea series. We all know that Medeus is an evil douchebag dragon, but why is he an evil douchebag dragon? Well as it turns out, dragons were going insane, humans were getting floored, and so Narga, a divine dragon, made a weapon that allowed humans to kick the shit out of dragons. Humans fought back and restored balance, but then... they started attacking normal dragons as well. Dragons became nearly extinct, and so Medeus got justifyingly pissed the fuck off and started to try wiping out humanity. You could argue that Archanea saga's conflicts were ultimately started by human intolerance, which is an issue that still remains today.

So how about the other games in the series? What do you think is the root evil of humanity that caused the conflict, if there was a root human evil?
Copy and pasted from what I put in the Discord.

In Fates universe, Dragons were seeen as the divine gods of that realm. Apparently there being 8 major ones that would use the humans as their own tools to wage wars against one another. They would use those humans by giving them great power through their blood. A time came when the Dragons felt it was time for them to leave the world and left the realm as spirits while of a few of them stayed. The only ones we can say for sure that remained are the Rainbow Sage, Anankos, and the dragon that Nohr made a fort out of the bones of. Many of the humans powered by the blood ended up forming kingdoms, most notably the kingdoms of Nohr and Hoshido, while Valla existed but was more of an exclusive club with a pretty much perfect fail safe of keeping it hidden.

Down in Valla, Anankos stayed to guide his kingdom, but as a result of remaining in the realm instead of leaving like the other dragons, Anankos was subjected to slipping into primal madness. To combat this, a song and a pendant was used to calm him during those times. It was during one of these primal rages that Anankos killed the king of Valla, also revered as his best friend. And in turn, his people began fearing him. That in turn kept them from using the song and pendant to calm him down and lead to his descent of nihilistic madness.

TLBig GrinR Because of Anankos's choice of staying in the realm, it led to him killing his best friend in a fit of primal rage and invoking fear in his people. Because they feared his wrath, his slipped into madness and developed the desire to destroy all of humanity. Not for the desire to be seen and remembered, but truthfully because humans abandonned him.
I have the awful habit of saying puns at the wrong time. Feel free to slap me if I do, I deserve the...

( •_•) ( •_•)>⌐□-□ (⌐□_□)

Punishment.
Fun fact: the Loptyr cultists actually were oppressed by the people of Judgral to the point that they had to hide in the Yied desert. While there was undoubtedly a natural conflict of interests between the two, the Lopto cult wanting to revive their dark god and all, it does reinforce the whole motif of bad guys being bad because of nasty experience. Then again, Sara had a pretty traumatic past, but she's pretty chilled out. Maybe she specifically just hates her grandpa.
Right. So what would you guys say was the vice that caused the wars in these games?

IMO, oppressing an evil cult isn't exactly the vice of intolerance. Had they not done anything about it, it would have been the vice of weakness if anything! Suppressing immoral groups from doing immoral things is moral in and of itself, is it not?

Really, I think FE4 was caused by the arrogance of Arvis. He wanted a better world, and felt he was the one who could bring it and he failed.
Well that was kinda what I was talking about when they had a pretty understandable conflict of interests, with the whole oppression stuff. TBH I'd say the real vices in FE4 would be the greedy dukes, who, blinded by their own ambitions were made into pawns by Manfroy, resulting in FE4's compellingly tragic villains like the misunderstood Emperor Arvis and Trabant (my personal favourite tbh)
The one I like the most is the arc of Lehran in FE RD, the hole story of how the vile of humanity with the senators doing basically all the awful stuff of the empress and the massacre of the forest and fear corrupted him to the point of planning a massive or the fear of the uncearteain leading to all the despise against the branded and the racist problem that carried on the hole time driving insane a poor man who lost everything to the point of only wishing global disaster and complete extermination of the living.
And an ending in which everything fucks up again at some point but, now they just see it natural and it solves in its own way
Can't forget FE 6 & 7.

The tragic tale of Idoun becoming the Dark Dragon, The history of the Scouring, Zephiel's decent into all out war, Nergal's madness, the fall of the Black Fang, and the plight of Nils and Ninian.
Even Lyn's quest to see her grandfather, there's always someone who start these things. And no matter how it's put right, it's bound to get bungled up again at a later point.
Life is Moot.
So live a little.
Quintessence... Nergal lost himself to his search for power, ultimately losing sight of everything he once held as important. He started wanting to protect his family and grow strong enough to do so but ultimately went mad with ambition and lust for yet more power.
(03-11-2017, 08:06 PM)MarkyJoe1990 Wrote: Right. So what would you guys say was the vice that caused the wars in these games?

IMO, oppressing an evil cult isn't exactly the vice of intolerance. Had they not done anything about it, it would have been the vice of weakness if anything! Suppressing immoral groups from doing immoral things is moral in and of itself, is it not?

Really, I think FE4 was caused by the arrogance of Arvis. He wanted a better world, and felt he was the one who could bring it and he failed.
Don't forget about the threat of war caused by sin and vice in the world's shittiest game: real life 2k17. With all the political bs happening, we're just waiting for the wars to start. Ugh.
IF I may interject an opinion here...being new and all *shyly raises a hand* RD's plot was rather interesting.  The entire history of warfare and tragedy was set into motion more by the goddess herself than anything. She created humans making them two different species the Laguz and the Beorc and left them to their own devices when she was not attending them herself. Being left to their own devices humanity of course developed it's own sense of pride and values that led to the two sides not being able to agree with each other. The goddess left them to war with themselves for centuries rather than stepping in to stop them or at least that's how it is implied to have been.

The goddess was unable to handle the discord of the two races constant warring and she went mad from it and so she split herself into two right? one side being more volatile than the other causing the massive flood. Ashera then wanted to destroy the less stable half of herself and we all know that chaos and order cannot exist without each other. I just love the way that this back story sets things up for one of the coolest concepts in FE history....and am sorely disappointed how they handled it.

I'm aware that I spent a good chunk of wording just spitting out probably obvious plot exposition but it led to my point of contention between the divine and men and how men like to fancy themselves capable of dealing with their own existence without the divine's intervention.