Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MarkyJoe1990 Discusses: Touhou
A lot of that sounds like fanon stuff rather than actual canon material... and also, I call bullcrap on the whole "Could utterly destroy Reimu". Have you SEEN what Reimu is capable of? She can make herself incorporeal!

To give you some perspective of how unimpressive Flandre is compared to other characters, Keine can CHANGE HISTORY. That's her power! She can make it so you never existed!

Yuyuko commited suicide in her past life because she gained the ability to invoke death.

Hell, let's go even "lower" on the power scale. Reisen's powers imply that she could potentially shut your brain down indefinitely, and in an instant.

Also, it's worth noting that EVERY character is technically "playing" when they are in a spell card duel. None of them use their fullest potential of power because then Gensokyo would become something like a nuclear holocaust.

So yeah, Flandre's power isn't very impressive.
(04-16-2013, 11:52 AM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: A lot of that sounds like fanon stuff rather than actual canon material... and also, I call bullcrap on the whole "Could utterly destroy Reimu". Have you SEEN what Reimu is capable of? She can make herself incorporeal!

To give you some perspective of how unimpressive Flandre is compared to other characters, Keine can CHANGE HISTORY. That's her power! She can make it so you never existed!

Yuyuko commited suicide in her past life because she gained the ability to invoke death.

Hell, let's go even "lower" on the power scale. Reisen's powers imply that she could potentially shut your brain down indefinitely, and in an instant.

Also, it's worth noting that EVERY character is technically "playing" when they are in a spell card duel. None of them use their fullest potential of power because then Gensokyo would become something like a nuclear holocaust.

So yeah, Flandre's power isn't very impressive.

Actually, Keine's power is more of an aesthetic rather than permanent. You can tell because powerful Youkai, such as Yukari, aren't affected by her abilities.

"Hey hey. I do see the humans as usual though. The deception of this level isn't useful at all, is it?" - Stage 3 IN Boundary Team Yukari Yakumo

Though you do got me on both Reisen and Yukari. Also, I do have to point out that, iirc, ZUN did say that Reimu was supposed to be canonically the "most powerful person in Gensokyo" due to Fantasy Heaven and stuff like that. I can't remember where to find exact quotes, but yeah, as I said on one YouTube video:

"Given how Eiki and Yukari have both been defeated by shrine maidens, seven-colored puppeteers, and lunarians, can we just assume that the power levels of Gensokyo are whatever the hell they feel like being?"

Because, in all honesty, I don't think any Touhou character has legitimately "gone serious" in fighting. I guess the closest I can think of is Tenshi's second wind final spell card and Kaguya's last word, but beyond that, I think everyone Touhou character doesn't take really anything seriously.

And as for fanon rather than canon... we have to infer a lot of stuff from the games as they don't exactly give us a lot to work with. Besides, you've got to admit that most of the fanon there has some explanation that can be traced back to the games or manga, instead of some of the other fanon material which... is really just for the sake of fulfilling tired jokes or stupid fetishes.

Fanon is OK if there's some theories that can be traced back to the games. ... Sound, rational theories.
This sig will Self-Destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie?

[Image: Thunders-Sig-1.png]

Img by Ajax

[Image: B4sgQC]

*sigh* Why do people assume that the characters' skill and power is defined by their ability to fight in a spell card duel? Spell card duels are an obligation in Gensokyo: you're not allowed to have an all-out fight. Your powers are more limited in a duel, so Yukari being defeated by someone like Reisen isn't totally impossible. She may be stronger outside of a duel, but spell card duels are more balanced, and considering Yukari doesn't get out much, and Reisen was in good shape (She trained before the events of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody), Yukari was fighting an uphill battle.
Yeah, I kinda keep forgetting the formalities of spell card fights. I don't think Gensokyo would have lasted past EoSD if Scarlet Gensokyo was unrestrained.

Then again, I made that comment because I was getting a bit irked at this whole "power argument" discussion between Eiki and Yukari about "who was canonically stronger." Honestly, I think we would be better off if we just assigned power levels as, "Everyone but Cirno" tier and "Cirno tier."

(Note: Partially kidding here. Cirno is still a formidable opponent in her own right. She's also adorable.)
This sig will Self-Destruct in 3.... 2.... 1.... Thank you for your time. Cookie?

Img by Ajax

(04-16-2013, 11:52 AM)markyjoe1990 Wrote: Have you SEEN what Reimu is capable of? She can make herself incorporeal!

Funny thing is that Reimu's ability to exist outside space and time through Fantasy Nature is considered one of the most broken powers in the verse to the point even ZUN admitted this.

... but yeah, I do agree Flandre's ability is overhyped beyond belief. If pressure is really involved in Flandre's ability, that means it works on joules and thus has a limit on what it can destroy. The best showing she ever had was atomize a small meteor. I could attempt to calc that feat, but the result will never really touch this. [Image: maybecopy1_zps71fe9908.png]
[Image: FwxWGOY.png]
(04-16-2013, 12:25 PM)ThunderCavalier Wrote: Yeah, I kinda keep forgetting the formalities of spell card fights. I don't think Gensokyo would have lasted past EoSD if Scarlet Gensokyo was unrestrained.

Then again, I made that comment because I was getting a bit irked at this whole "power argument" discussion between Eiki and Yukari about "who was canonically stronger." Honestly, I think we would be better off if we just assigned power levels as, "Everyone but Cirno" tier and "Cirno tier."

(Note: Partially kidding here. Cirno is still a formidable opponent in her own right. She's also adorable.)

Nah, Cirno isn't that bad (she did beat Marisa in the Great Fairy Wars). Of we were assigning power levels, it'll probably be "Everyone except Sunny Milk, Lunar Child and Starlight".
(04-22-2013, 07:38 PM)marks3684 Wrote: Nah, Cirno isn't that bad (she did beat Marisa in the Great Fairy Wars). Of we were assigning power levels, it'll probably be "Everyone except Sunny Milk, Lunar Child and Starlight".

I would LOVE to agree with you there, except I've played Fantasy Maiden Wars and the three fairies are a BITCH there.

... Yeah, I guess fanon games might not count in this regard, but yes, I'm a bit bitter at the fact that Star Sapphire is literally impossible to fricken hit. Shut up!

Img by Ajax